The ten who died in a stampede at rapper Travis Scott’s concert at Astroworld in Houston last month have taken on a new angle. The Harris County medical examiner said on Thursday the deaths were accidental.
According to the examiner’s report, the victims, aged 9 to 27, died of compression asphyxiation after being crushed to death. Another 300 people were injured amid the stampede of 50,000 people.
The victims were parked on three sides by barriers. They couldn’t get away as tens of thousands of fans rushed onto the stage to see Scott perform. According to eyewitnesses, people were stepped on as they fell to the ground. In all ten cases, the medical examiner ruled out murder or death caused by another person.
“It reopens a new plague for many families who are still trying to figure out what happened,” said Lina Hidalgo, Harris County manager.
Scott’s spokesperson declined to respond immediately. Requests for comment from his lawyers and Live Nation representatives were not returned. A spokeswoman for the Houston Police Department also declined to respond.
Although no charges have been laid by the police. At least 200 lawsuits have been filed against Scott, festival promoter Live Nation Entertainment, NRG Park concert hall, etc.
According to Houston boss Troy Finner, the performance lasted for more than 30 minutes after being seen as a massive casualty. Even after the agents asked the promoter to stop.
According to his lawyer, Scott didn’t realize the full depth of what had happened until the next morning. The rapper also offered to help with funeral expenses for families.